Monday 6 June 2011

Voyage: Sweden





Sweden, I adore you.








Peter Bjorn And John - Norrlands Riviera
The Swedish language makes me feel so at peace. Listening to this track makes me instantly relax. It's as though it transports me to a tiny coffee shop, down a poky street, somewhere in Sweden. It's freezing cold and I sip hot drinks all day long. These fellows Peter Bjorn and John are kind of like the essential listening of the Swedish music world, and so I couldn't bear to leave them out.


Vera Vinter – Drömde Om Dig
This is a lovely song by a relatively unknown artist, a lady named Vera Vinter. She comes from a tiny town in Northern Sweden, and this song features some beautiful guitar and wonderful vocals. However, keep in mind that this is an amateur recorded, live clip, and so quality of sound is not excellent.


The Tallest Man On Earth – Where Do My Bluebird Fly
A beautiful live recording of singer-songwriter Kristian Mattson performing live for a Seattle radio station. Becoming more well-known on an international level, The Tallest Man On Earth has released two studio albums and two EP’s over the last four or five years. Mattson has been an opening act for UK band Mumford & Sons, and shares a similar sound. He has also been compared to Bob Dylan, and is a skilled multi-instrumentalist.

 
Fever Ray – When I Grow Up
I love this song’s film clip, and its sound and lyrics. Karin Dreijer Andersson, otherwise known as Fever Ray, seems like such a peaceful and gentle person in this song. She is also the lead vocalist for Swedish brother-sister duo The Knife, whose song Heartbeats was covered by fellow Swede José González, both of which are fantastic.


Lykke Li - I Know Places
A Live performance ‘From the Moon’, Lykke Li releases yet another beautiful song. She always sings with such raw emotion, yet her voice sounds so strong and powerful. I can’t say much else about this incredible musician, except for that I love her.


Fanny Whale - Tim and His Love
Lastly, an unsigned artist, who I so hope makes it big. She's got such a lovely voice, kind of reminiscent of Soko, and some awfully cute lyrics. Also, she plays the ukulele, and that's pretty great. This is such a lovely little song!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?