Wednesday 2 November 2011

The Glorious Return (An Attempt)


Long-time no-post, eh? Well, I’ve been busy busting my gut to do well with uni, but with things wrapping up for the year, I’m hoping that I’ll have more time and inspiration to continue blogging. I miss it a lot. So gradually, I’m going to get back into it. Hopefully I’ll come good with that promise this time round, unlike all those other times where I’ve said I’ll start up with my blogging again. Anyhow…

Lately, I’ve discovered some really great music, and have pretty much been immersing myself in that when I haven’t been writing essay after essay about saving the world (my major is Peace and Conflict Studies). One of the bands that I really can’t stop listening to right now, is Radical Face. You might know their song ‘Welcome Home’ from the I AM NIKON advertising campaign (which is really very cool), but they’ve also got some other great songs. Radical Face have got a pretty interesting sound, really. Because they use sounds like creaky floorboards, crackly white noise, crows calling and things like that to give some of their songs a really eerie sound. But on the other hand, lots of their music has this really lovely cheery sound, with whistling and clapping and what-have-you. And on top of all that, Ben Cooper (Radical Face) has this lovely sweet voice that you really don’t expect.


On the subject of photography campaigns, though, there’s another very cool commercial which has been doing the rounds lately, and that’s for the Canon EOS Photo 5 competition. It looks like heaps of fun, but unfortunately the entries for this year have closed, with the winners being announced on the 9th of November. The basic gist of it is that entrants are given a brief (this year’s Open Brief was ‘Through A Pet’s Eyes) which they must centre their photographs around. It’s open to amateur photographers, but the quality of the work shown in the advertisement is absolutely outstanding. Take a look.


Aside from music and photography, I’ve been watching a few movies, trying to find inspiration for my own work, and also just to find something interesting to watch. Recently I’ve watched two films, Mary and Max, and Garden State, which I both really enjoyed.

Mary and Max is an Australian Claymation film, featuring some pretty big names in the voice acting department. It follows the story of Mary Daisy Dinkle, a miserable 8 year old Australian girl living in the suburbs of Melbourne, and Max Jerry Horowitz, an obese, Asperger’s suffering forty-something year old Jewish-American living in New York. They strike up an unlikely friendship as penpals, and the film follows their story over about 20 years. It’s really a very lovely story, however sad. The colour and technique behind the Claymation work is also something worth taking a look at.

Garden State, which stars Zach Braff and Natalie Portman, was first screened at the 2004 Sundance Film, and tells the story of Andrew Largeman’s return to his hometown in New Jersey for his mother’s funeral. There he meets a girl names Sam in a hospital waiting room, where he is seeing a doctor about his headaches and depression. Over the time he spends at home, he comes to realise and accept that through taking medication for years to treat his depression, he has become lonely and disconnected. In meeting Sam, Largeman begins his ‘awakening’,  and comes to terms with what has happened in his past. Garden State has a great soundtrack featuring music by The Shins, Coldplay, and Iron and Wine, and is definitely worth a watch.

In other news, blogger has completely changed its layout, making it extremely hard for me to work out what’s going on with my blog. For that reason, amongst others, I’m going to start blogging with Fourth Drawer on tumblr as well. The reason for my switchover, is purely because tumblr is easier to blog with, blogger is getting kind of outdated, tumblr opens up a whole new audience for Fourth Drawer, and also it’s easier to use. Other users can like my posts, reply to them, reblog them, and even submit their own! I can also share posts from other blogs with you. The only downside is that you can’t follow via email, only by creating an account through tumblr. That’s why I’ll be continuing to post on my original blog for a while yet. So don’t panic! The switch will be gradual. If I switch at all. For now, I’m just trying it out.

Anyhow, you can still view Fourth Drawer on tumblr without registering or following, it just means you won’t get updates. So even though I haven’t got much on there right now, I’d appreciate it if you checked it out. THERE’S A NEW SHORT FILM UP THERE, PEOPLE!! You can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?