Thursday 28 July 2011

For You

G'day, hi, how are you? Channelling Julia Gillard, right there. Anyway! What's been happening this week? Not much. I've been listening to heaps of music, watching a few movies. I started back at uni on Monday, got hit it the head by a bird, and ate a lot of chocolate. But that's beside the point. I'm going to try a sort of new format where I can recommend a lot of different things to you in one post. Like, film, music, writing, photography, etc etc.


BLUE VALENTINE

Not long ago, I watched a really lovely film called Blue Valentine, which stars Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. Both are very brilliant actors, and play their characters here excellently. What I loved most about this movie was its dialogue. It felt like such an honest portrayal of a story such as this, and its outcome was just so realistic that it's hard to fault. As well as this, the style in which it's filmed is just lovely, and the cinematography is, in my opinion, wonderful. It's a rather serious film, and at times, very intense, but there are some moments which are very light-hearted and funny. Overall, I'd say it was a great film, and definitely one I would recommend.


WHITE FANG - THE CALL OF THE WILD
This book, The Call of The Wild, written by Jack London, is a pretty great story. And, while it's not exactly a page-turner and it took me an age to finish reading, the concept is really cool. It follows the story of a wolf cub, named White Fang, and it's told through his point of view. Really interesting stuff. Give it a read if that kind of thing is your kind of thing.


Port O'Brien - I Woke Up Today
See, the thing I love about this song, is that the band just looks like they're having an absolute blast. I discovered them quite a while ago, but there's a commercial that's airing on TV right now that a little part of this song features in, so you might recognise it from that. Either way, give it a listen. I guarantee you'll wish you owned a shark suit afterwards.

Ida Maria - Oh My God
A song from the lovely Norwedgian lady who brought us 'I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked', this song's clip is funky and heaps of fun. You'll find youself bopping your head along, I promise.


8TRACKS
Lastly, I've found a new website to be addicted to that's called 8tracks, where you can listen to handcrafted playlists, and even make your own. Just search genres or artists or things, and there'll be plenty of playlists for you to listen to. I have an account which you can visit here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?